[1st-mile-nm] [SPAM?] Why Does Verizon Care About Telephone Poles? - The New York Times

Steve Cimelli steve at preferredbusinesssolutions.biz
Thu Oct 5 10:25:36 PDT 2017

I’ve not experienced Verizon’s pulling back since I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile over two years ago and found
the service to have been better with T-Mobile at the time.   I’ve also been pleased with T-Mobile’s network improvements
to their service as they’ve migrated to frequencies like 700 Mhz and their better throughput.   In many areas I’m now getting
40 megs download, close to 10 megs upload.    I’ll be driving through rural New Mexico next week, will do a few speed tests
along the way.   While parked of course…...

Verizon has been losing significant market share to T-Mobile over this time period.    Third party Open Signal now ranks T-Mobile as having the best coverage, & I think I saw something along these lines by Ookla as well.   Don’t know if that’s true or not.   Not to be vanquished though, Verizon has launched their One-Talk service which is providing business class VoIP service on their cellular network as well as on hard-wired circuits.     They launched this late last year and it has sold very well boosting Verizon’s share significantly in the UCaaS field of competitors.   Verizon isn’t the only wireless provider to have the Broadsoft switch that delivers these features in their network.  Other are sure to follow.     Verizon may have decided on a ‘narrow & deep’ strategy to add more services and revenue to existing customers and in more densely populated areas by investing in cloud capabilities, i.e. the servers to support these features, rather than more radio infrastructure, especially in rural areas.

Attached is a post from yesterday’s CGC Consulting’s ‘POTs and PANs’ blog where they talk about Verizon’s rural service that may be
part of what you folks are seeing.

Steve