[Davis Democrats] Senator Boxer on Food Safety

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Thu Dec 7 22:32:58 PST 2006

------ Forwarded Message
From: "U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer" <bulletinfeedback at boxer.senate.gov>

Subject: Senator Boxer on Food Safety

Dear Friend:

Even as we hear of new outbreaks of E. coli bacteria, many Californians are
still acutely aware of the E. coli spread in packaged spinach earlier this
year.  In that instance, three people died and more than 200 people
nationwide were sickened.  In addition, hundreds of farmworkers went without
work and spinach growers lost millions of dollars while the source of the
contamination was located and fields could be certified clean of E. coli.

Americans depend on the safety of their food supply and look to government
programs, such as federal meat inspections, for assurances of food quality.
I have asked the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) to report back
to me on the issue of federal oversight of fruit and vegetable safety.  The
GAO is an independent, nonpartisan agency that works for Congress.  It is
often called the "congressional watchdog" because it investigates how the
federal government spends taxpayer dollars.

Senator Edward M. Kennedy (D-MA) joined me in requesting that the GAO
investigate how the Food and Drug Administration currently executes
oversight authority of the nation¹s fresh produce.  In part, this inquiry
will form the basis for ideas for future action to better ensure food
safety.  You can count on me to continue to inquire about and seek answers
to food safety questions.

The Food and Drug Administration also offers tips on buying, storing and
preparing produce to help prevent food-borne illnesses.  You can find this
handy guide at http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/prodsafe.html

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator