[Davis Democrats] American Rights of Labor are being eroded--ways to help workers

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Sun Nov 18 01:50:30 PST 2007

                        Striking Writers Need Your Help!

                        Tell studio executives you stand in solidarity with
the writers.

                  Writers are the creative minds behind the shows and movies
we all love to watch. Their work provides the foundation for the content
produced by the entertainment industry.  But since November 5, 12,000
entertainment writers have been on strike.

                  These writers are on strike for a pretty simple reason:
they want fair compensation when their content is streamed on the Internet
by the networks. Right now, writers get nothing for this work-even if
written exclusively for online audiences-and the studios want to keep it
that way.

                  Some of my favorite shows, like the "The Colbert Report"
and "The Daily Show," have been running reruns for the last week-and I've
just learned that tonight's episode of "The Office" is the last original
show.  But I only want my favorite shows back if their writers can get a
fair deal.

                  Join me in sending a message to Hollywood executives: it's
time to treat your writers fairly.

                  More and more TV shows are going to go off the air because
of the stinginess of the studios.  It's estimated that the companies will
bring in a whopping $4.6 billion over the next three years through the
Internet-and they don't want to give the writers a penny.  The networks and
studios tell the writers there's no money to be made online-then, the CEOs
of the same companies brag to Wall Street that they're making tons of money
online.  Which do you believe?

                  The entertainment industry should embrace new media, but
not on the backs of its writers.  Sign our petition in protest now!

                  You may ask, why should I care about Hollywood writers?
Make no mistake - their fight is not just playing out in Hollywood. These
hardworking men and women are taking a stand against corporate greed.  Just
like any of us, they should be compensated fairly for the work that they do.
We need to stand with them as they defend workers' rights and abilities in
our new economy.

                  The strike has continued for 10 days because Hollywood
studios refuse to sit down and seriously negotiate with the writers.  Stand
in solidarity with the writers, and tell the studio companies to come back
to the bargaining table and resolve this strike.

http://www.americanrightsatwork.org/external/striking-writers-need-your-help
.html

                  Thank you for your help with this urgent request.  I'll be
in touch as this campaign progresses.

                  Sincerely,

                  Liz Cattaneo,
                  American Rights at Work

                  www.americanrightsatwork.org

                  P.S.  The writers have a blog where they post updates,
photos, and videos from the picket lines.  Check it out at
www.UnitedHollywood.com.

                  Photo of striking writers by Flickr user idealterna.

                  Visit the web address below to tell your friends about
American Rights at Work.
                   Tell-a-friend!

                  If you received this message from a friend, you can sign
up for American Rights at Work.

Messages in this topic (1)

     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

<*> Your email settings: