[Dhsbb-jazz] Monterey NGF

Peter Matlock matlockpeter at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 21:37:20 PDT 2008

Hi All,

Attached please find the information I have regarding the Monterey Next Generation Festival April 3 - 6.  The Festival is at the Monterey Conference Center (1 Portola Plaza), which is adjacent to the Portola Hotel (2 Portola Plaza)--where the students will be staying.

We leave right after school on Friday, April 4. Mr. Lange is ready to leave as soon as Jazz Band is over, so if you want to leave earlier then please make the arrangements with your student.   If your student needs a ride contact Nancy Hatamiya at nhatamiya at comcast.net.  If you can drive a carpool please let Nancy know how many students you can take--and be sure to fill out the driver form (with copy of auto insurance).'

  See the attached schedule for Friday evening concerts.  There is a kick-off concert at 7:00 PM with "MJF County" at 7:15, Judges Concert with Christian McBride at 8:30 and Berklee Latin Jazz at 10:00.

  The web site:

  http://www.montereyjazzfestival.org/NGF/index.htm

  says concerts are free and I've not seen any notice of ticket costs except for the Thursday Christian McBride concert:

  http://www.montereyjazzfestival.org/cmbsituation/

  So--assume concerts are free, but come prepared with cash or plastic just in case!

  We warm up at 2:30 Saturday in the DeAnza Ballroom and perform at 3:00 PM in the Serra Ballroom of the conference center:

  http://www.montereyconferencecenter.com/meetingspace.html

  Announcement of Big Band finalists is at 6:15 in the Serra Ballroom, with 7:30 warm-ups, 8:00 competition, 9:45 final awards and 10:00 student jam sessions and vocal jazz concert (see attached for other events, clinics and scholarship auditions throughout Saturday and Sunday).

  In the attached, please see guidelines for participating high school ensembles, point #3 for equipment provided (or not provided) by the Festival.

  Chaperones for this trip are:

  Kate Scow
  Carina Moore
  Rob Merges & Jo Andrews
  Stephanie DeGraff-Hunt and David Hunt
  A schedule of student "check-in" times, additional details, etc. will be distributed before the trip.

  The Festival provided us with five discount coupons for the Monterey Aquarium: $22.95 adults, $20.95 students.  Each coupon is good for "the entire visiting group," so we can make this stretch by having whoever's interested show up at the same time.  These coupons are available on a first-come, first-served basis by emailing me: matlockpeter at yahoo.com.

  Student room-mates are in the attached Word document.

  Best regards,
  Peter