[Dhsbb-jazz] Four VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGES about PLAYATHON - read on!

J. Hamaguchi jhamaguchi at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 20 20:35:29 PST 2010

To students and parents of DHS Bands,

#1:  Remember - ALL BAND STUDENTS ARE INVITED TO ATTEND PLAYATHON.  No pledges?  No problem!  Attend for the fun and camaraderie!  If you do have pledges, remember that 100% of pledged dollars go directly to the student accounts to cover their travel expenses to Disneyland.
#2:  Students, we need a sound system for the break room.  If anyone has a portable system they can bring, please let me know so that I can be sure this is covered - CONTACT sweisker at ucdavis.edu

Parents, I can still use a few people to bring refreshments to the concert; i.e., snacks, drinks, and bottles water.  For breakfast, I believe we have bagels coming, but could use some cream cheese, fruit, and orange juice.  I think we are also still looking for someone with a percolator so we can have hot water for tea and hot chocolate.  It sounds like we are going to need it with no heat in the MPR.  CONTACT sweisker at ucdavis.edu IF YOU CAN HELP!

#3:  IT'S TRUE!  NO HEAT will be available for the MPR during the Playathon event.  The DHS administration has informed us that the heating system will not be repaired in time for our annual event.  BAND STUDENTS AND PARENT VOLUNTEERS ARE URGED TO PREPARE FOR COLD TEMPERATURES - wear layers of warm clothing and consider bringing blankets and/or sleeping bags.  Woodwinds players, consider bringing plastic instruments if available for overnight.  The organizing parents for Playathon will keep us abreast of the situation...stay tuned.

#4:  message from Stephanie Hunt:
The Davis High School Bands 22nd Playathon will take place on the weekend of January 23-24 in the MPR at DHS. This event has become a favorite of the Band students as they play and party their way through 12 hours of fun.  Pledged dollars go directly to the student accounts to cover their travel expenses to Disneyland.  Pledges are NOT required - All band students are invited and encouraged to attend Playathon with or without pledges.

Like all "A-Thon" events, students are earning money for doing something longer than most people would consider, in this case playing their instruments.  The Play-a-thon begins with a concert with each  band performing in turn, Concert Band at 7:30, Symphonic Band at 8:15 and Jazz Band at 9:00.  At 10:00 p.m. all of the bands combine for the  Parents and Friends Hour. At this time additional pledges are collected from anyone who would like to play with or conduct the band.

Guest conductors and guest performers  typically include band family members and local dignitaries. If you have always dreamed of conducting or performing with the High School Bands this is an opportunity for you.  Contact Sandra Weisker to sign up for this unique opportunity at (530) 756-2759 or   <mailto:sweisker at ucdavis.edu>.

The period from 12:00 midnight to 6:00 a.m. is reserved just for the  band students to sight-read new music and prepare for a morning concert surprise which begins at 7:00 a.m. So come and enjoy an evening of music and return for the sunrise concert.