[Dhsbb-jazz] We could still use a few playathon volunteers for Friday Jan 20

Jeanette E. Natzle jenatzle at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jan 17 09:39:05 PST 2012

Dear Band parents,

If your student didn't turn in their permission slip for Playathon yet, we will still collect them from the box in the band room this week...we will also take them on Friday night at check-in, but it is much better if we can have them earlier to speed up the check-in process. Remind your students to get those pledges.

We still need a few more people to help out this weekend (please email me at jenatzle at ucdavis.edu<mailto:jenatzle at ucdavis.edu>  or go to http://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0848AAAB2F4-playathon to sign up). We especially need:

(1) a couple more people to help with student check-in (arrive Friday at 6 pm to set up, check-in from 6:45 to 7:00 or 7:15);

(2) one person to help with pizza pick-up (pick up donated pizzas from a couple locations between 8:45 and 9 pm and deliver back to Emerson);

(3) one more person to help with cake walk tickets/dessert table ( arrive 6:30-6:45, stay until ~8:45),

(4) several people to help clean up on Saturday morning at 7 a.m.

We would also welcome a couple of heavy duty extension cords, a cake/pie/dessert for the cake walk, and some materials to use for the costume contest (old newspapers, paper bags, rolls of toilet paper, masking tape). Please join us also to listen in, play along in the band, or conduct from ~7:15-8:45 pm.

Please pass the following information along to your students:

List of things for students to bring:
Instrument (let me know ASAP jenatzle at ucdavis.edu<mailto:jenatzle at ucdavis.edu> if they have large instrument and need to have it taken from the band room to Emerson on Friday)
Pep band music
Wear comfortable Disney-theme costume if desired (prize for best individual costume, best group costume)
Bring snack food to share (Last name A-H: fruit or sweet treats;  I-O: vegetables or snacks (eg crackers, chips etc); P-Z: cold beverages (coffee, tea, hot chocolate, water will be provided)
Things to do during breaks: Nerf activity toys, dance music on iPod, Twister game, board games etc
Sleeping bag if they want to rest during breaks
Pledge form, pledges, (permission slip if not already turned in)

Brief schedule for evening: (music theme hours are 40-45 min music, 15-20 min break; door prizes)
~7:15-8:45 pm   Play-along with conductor Eric Burger (1976 DHS alum, professional trombonist)
9-10 pm    Ice-breaker hour (costume contests, pizza break, dancing)
10-11 pm  John Williams theme hour with conductor Bobby Rogers (Pioneer High and community band director)
11-12 pm  Broadway hits theme hour with conductors Tom Slabaugh (Cal Aggie Band director) and his assistant Olin Hammun (2004 DHS alum)
12 - 1 am  Classical Band repertoire theme hour with conductors above
1-2 am      Movie themes hour with conductors above
2-3 am      Pep band theme hour (bring your music) with Jenny Horn and volunteers from DHS band
3-4 am      Break hour (food, dancing, resting, Nerf toy challenges, Twister, board games)
4-5 am      March theme hour with conductor Soren Christian (Cal Aggie band student director, 2008 DHS alum)
5-6 am      Disney theme hour with conductor Jenny Horn
6-7 am      People's choice....replay favorites from earlier in the evening, pep band numbers, final door prizes.

Thanks!
Jeanette Natzle Vance