[Dhsbb-jazz] Fwd: Introducing the Brunelle Student Usher Program

tslabaugh at djusd.net tslabaugh at djusd.net
Fri Sep 18 18:31:40 PDT 2015

Hi all,

This is another wonderful "You Choose" point earning opportunity. Please read through and speak with me if you have any questions.

Mr. S

Begin forwarded message:

From: Katherine Peter <kpeter at djusd.net<mailto:kpeter at djusd.net>>
Date: September 18, 2015 at 5:49:00 PM PDT
To: DSHS-Teachers <DSHS-Teachers at djusd.net<mailto:DSHS-Teachers at djusd.net>>, DSHS-Classified <DSHS-Classified at djusd.net<mailto:DSHS-Classified at djusd.net>>
Cc: William Brown <wbrown at djusd.net<mailto:wbrown at djusd.net>>, Amelia Hess <amhess at djusd.net<mailto:amhess at djusd.net>>, Mary Lynch <mlynch at djusd.net<mailto:mlynch at djusd.net>>, Tom McHale <tmchale at djusd.net<mailto:tmchale at djusd.net>>, Jeff Lorenson <jlorenson at djusd.net<mailto:jlorenson at djusd.net>>
Subject: Introducing the Brunelle Student Usher Program

Dear Teachers and Staff,
I’ll like to take a minute and introduce you to the new Brunelle Theater Student Usher Program.  The Brunelle Theater is home to over 125 public events and performances every year ranging from elementary band concerts, to musical productions,  to  community events.  And although, a large number of students at DSHS and Da Vinci participate in performing arts in classes or extra-curricular activities, certainly there are many students on this campus for whom the entire theater building is a mystery.  So, in an effort to increase student ownership, add a bit more equitable access, and give our audiences a warm Blue Devil welcome,  the Brunelle Theater Usher program  was created.
Any high school student can attend a one hour orientation, scheduled either after school or in the evening.   At orientation, students take a full tour of the building and they receive a packet containing guidelines, expectations, and a job description for ushering.   Should they wish to register as an usher, they submit their contact information and will then receive an invite to the Usher page on Signup Genius.  Each usher is expected to sign up for 3 events each performance season  (Sept-Jan,  Feb-March, April –June)
Students not only get a chance to see some amazing performances,  but they  also gain customer service skills and a chance to earn volunteer or community service  hours while still on campus.  The hope is that this will also serve to connect some of our elementary and jr. high performers with a welcoming and positive environment on the high school campus, and give our high school students a low commitment way to be a part of the day to day operations of the theater.
If you have any questions or feel this might be a good match for any class you teach or club you advise  please let me know.   I’d be happy to arrange additional orientations sessions for interested groups. We’ve held one orientation thus far and had a really positive response from students,  so  I’m hopeful that this can become a permanent outreach program of the Brunelle Theater
In case students (or adults) have questions on the job of an usher,  I’ve attached a rough outline of the program which has some addition information on the volunteer basics.

Thanks for your time,  and please share the information below (or above!)  with your classes as you see fit.

Help bring Blue Devil spirit to the new Brunelle Theater student usher program.  Earn volunteer hours, gain customers service skills, and get to see performances for free.  The next orientations are Tuesday September 29th , 7-8pm    and   Wednesday,  Sept. 30  at 2:45pm-3:45   in the lobby at the front of the Brunelle Theater.   All are welcome!  No experience necessary!

Many Thanks,

Kathy Peter
Performing Arts Facilities Coordinator
Davis Joint Unified School District
530-757-5357

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain privileged and confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. The unauthorized access, use, disclosure, or distribution of this email may constitute a violation of federal and/or state laws.