[env-trinity] Westlands Nuclear

Byron bwl3 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 19 21:06:27 PDT 2008

By KSEE News

Story Published: Aug 19, 2008 at 7:57 PM EDT

Story Updated: Aug 19, 2008 at 7:57 PM EDT

The Fresno Nuclear Energy Group and the Westlands Water District signed a
"letter of intent." This paves the way for exploring options that would
bring two 1,600 megawatt facilities to west Fresno.

"Low cost energy will be an economic boom to this area like this place has
never seen before," said John Hutson of the Fresno Nuclear Energy Group.

The state of California has a current moratorium on building new nuclear
plants. The two plants are expected between Mendota and Kettleman City.

The nuclear project could also make way for desalinization plants to the
area. That process cleans up the water for farmers.

"We are unable to produce a vast majority of crops. We have land that went
fallow," said Sarah Woolf of Westlands Water District.

"What do you need to clean water?, heat and electricity. What's more
abundant at a power plant than heat and electricity?," said Huston.

Signing the letters of intent are just the beginning stages. If all goes by
plan, the energy group expects construction of the two nuclear plants to
begin in 2017.

Byron Leydecker, JCT

Friends of Trinity River, Chair

415 383 4810