Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home About DCN DCN Board of Directors Board Minutes May 16, 2006

May 16, 2006

DCN Board Meeting Notes May 16, 2006

Davis Community Network (DCN)

A regular meeting of the
Board of the Davis Community Network was called for
Tuesday, May 16, 2006
at the City of Davis Training Room
600 A Street.

Present: 7 Members - not a quorum - Tsui Chang, Jim Frame, Brian
Gegan, Rick Guidara, Anne Hance, Robert Nickerson, Kimball Sargeant,
also Exec. Dir. Richard Lowenberg.

Absent:Tony Bernhard, John Jones, Steve McMahon, Jan Meizel, Tom
Stanionis, Vicki Suter, Richard Yamagata,

1. No quorum was present so at 5:21 pm the assembled group started
talking about DCN affairs not requiring any action.

2. The minutes of April 18, 2006 Board Meeting were not addressed.
3. There was no public comment.


4. Celebrate Davis Thursday. 4:30-9pm May 18:
DCN is assigned to booth 80 in the middle of the three
two-sided rows on the side facing north. a table and 2 chairs will
be provided. Set up for DCN is set at from 1:30 - 2 pm
Richard Lowenberg and Don Hartman will bring the canopy,
banner, t-shirts, handouts and poster boards. Jim Frame will help
with set-up. Jan Meizel will come 'after school' Tsui will be there
5:30 - 7:30. Brian and Rob will help with clean up.
We did not have the list at hand so others who have offered
to help should do so even if their names are not here.

5. Follow-up from Strategic Planning Retreat:

Brian: commented that he believes that a strategy for achieving
regular income from donors and partners is paramount. Anne agreed.

RL: reported that the GSM students advised that DCN apply in the
Spring to be taken on as a project and recommended a well focussed,
tightly defined project would be best.

Brian: suggested also talking to an advisor so that there would be
an advocate for DCN. RL agreed and will follow up on that. Brian will

Anne: said she wonders if it would fit their guidelines if the GSM
students were given the task of developing an annual funding campaign
to include policies, procedures, materials and especially the initial
cultivation of a group of corporate and business donors.

Kimball: said he was very interested in having a written business plan.

Anne: did not want development of a business plan to take energies
and time away from activity on programs and strategizing of
partnerships and other types of income production

Kimball: said his idea of the business plan for DCN was
straightforward and would be based on the ideas shared at the retreat.

Rick and Brian; both thought that a business plan need not be a very
time consuming effort but would be good to have. They thought that an
executive summary/framework might suffice rather than a lengthy

Brian: said there should be specific, planned, action steps and annual goals.
He offered to write a one or two page model in the next couple of
weeks, email it to the board, and then try to attend a Friday Exec.
Comm. meeting to talk about it.

6. Other topics:

Tsui; The recent Simple Site and CSS classes were well attended and
went very well. A class on June 22 for Simple Sites was initiated by
a request from a school PTA but is an open class.

Rob: had a question about charges for virtual hosting a domain
name for The Spare Changer an RAC project that has purchased DSL for
use with a Simple Site.

Anne: said that the RAC guidelines for allocation of resources do
not include free virtual hosting.

Tsui: said we should wait until Steve returns since he has been
arranging for hosting on the Reid McMahon site

Anne: wanted board members to know that Rob on behalf of Omsoft
provides significant ongoing support to the RAC in the tracking and
problem solving of RAC projects especially in sorting out customer

Ended at 6:30 pm.

Submitted by Anne Hance, Secretary

Document Actions
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Personal tools