Thanks to the leadership and enthusiasm of DCN volunteers who actively participate in community building projects, here are a few highlights. For a complete list, please visit http://www2.dcn.org/dcn/about/projects.
- District Dollars
- DCN collaborated with the Davis Joint Unified School District (DJUSD) to develop an interactive website to help our community understand the current DJUSD budget situation.
- Based on years of experience assisting local nonprofits and community groups as well as their valuable feedback, this award winning website-creation tool is developed from Plone by DCN with ease of use, practical application, and multimedia capability in mind. It is a powerful package of template-based tools for creating websites ranging from one simple web page to sites with multimedia and other sophisticated features -- without having to know HTML. This is an ongoing project with new features added based on community needs.
- Websites with Content Management System (CMS)
- DCN assists nonprofit organizations to effectively use a content management system for capacity building -- streamline workflow, facilitate division of labor and enhance communications internally as well as with the public.
- Classes and Workshops
- Davis Community Network frequently schedules free public classes and workshops as part of its commitment to educate the public about the Internet, DCN's community applications, and DCN's services. These classes are useful for organizations and individuals.
- Nonprofit Internet Toolkit
- Every nonprofit has fundamental needs. For example, all nonprofits need to inform, educate and/or inspire people about their organizations or causes. Many nonprofits need to manage their volunteers. All nonprofits need to communicate with their members and clients. These needs can often be met by applying the right tool to the task. The Nonprofit Internet Toolkit describes a variety of tools, resources, classes and support that could improve a nonprofit's effectiveness in serving its mission.
- Volunteer Management for Nonprofits
- Internet tools and resources for nonprofits to start a volunteer management system or to improve on an existing one. Great for capacity building.
- Voter Information Project
- DCN has provided online Voter Information since 1996. DCN, in partnership with the Yolo County Elections Office (YCEO), City of Davis and DCTV, provides Internet related services to Davis area candidates and campaigns; and maintains the DCN Voter Information web site, a voter resources clearinghouse, with links to candidate and issues web sites, campaign finance reports, the County Elections Office web site, and more.
- Community Calendar & Web Calendars for Organizations
- Many organizations have learned that they now need an interactive calendar on their web sites. The problem is that there are many calendar program plug-ins available online, but none that effectively meet both organizational requirements and community event posting needs, specifically for Davis. The DCN Web Team has developed an integrated solution: an easy to use, aggregated and linked Organization Calendar and a Davis Community Calendar. DCN’s web calendar program is intended to be used by Davis area institutions, local nonprofit groups and community organizations, at no cost.