Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home About DCN DCN Board of Directors Board Minutes September 19, 2006

September 19, 2006

DCN Board Minutes September 2006

Davis Community Network (DCN)
NOTE: There was no quorum at the August Meeting so official minutes were not prepared.
A duly called regular meeting of the
Board of the Davis Community Network was held
Tuesday, SEPTEMBER 19, 2006
at the City of Davis Training Room
600 A Street.

Present: (Quorum = 8) Tsui Chang, Jim Frame, Brian Gegan, Rick Guidara, Anne Hance, Steve McMahon, Robert Nickerson, Kimball Sargeant, Vicki Suter, Richard Yamagata, also Board consultant Kari Peterson

Absent: Tony Bernhard, John Jones, Jan Meizel, Tom Stanionis,

1. Called to order at 5:20:00 pm by President Kimball Sargeant
2. Agenda approved by consensus with addition of item 3a
3. Minutes of July 18 Board Meeting approved by consensus
We approved notes of 08/15/06 meeting [at which there was no business conducted since there was not a quorum]

3a. Motion: Anne Hance moved and Vicki Suter seconded the following motion:

We move the ratification of the hiring of
Kari Peterson as consultant to the Board.

The motion passed with zero nayes; and one abstention (by Jim Frame.)

4. No public comment

5. Neustar/.US domain contract
The issue of the contract sent to us for signing by Neustar was briefly discussed. Two copies of the contract with our approved revisions were signed by Kimball Sargeant and sent to Neustar with a return envelope. The revisions were considered necessary following careful review of the contract and discussion of what we deemed to be unreasonable statements.

6. Deferral of fund raiser with Da Vinci High School
Tsui Chang briefly revisited the history of our contacts and conversations with DaVinci Parents. In light of the fact that we are not really ready to conduct a fundraiser, and because the DaVinci parents have already set themselves a separate goal of raising $14,000, the postponement of the fundraiser by the Exec. Comm. was seen as a proper decision.

7. Rumsey Ranch grant proposal - Quick update
Jan Meizel, the author of the grant submission, is on vacation until Sep 22. Kari Peterson has the draft of the submission. She will circulate a digital copy and ask board members to read it and provide her asap with any feedback. Grant deadline is Sep. 27 2006.

8. Strategic planning/workplan - discussion led by Kari Peterson

Peterson has reviewed the notes from our April strategic planning retreat and plans to make recommendations on how to proceed. She suggested that since there was a great deal accomplished at that session our time should now be spent on re-establishment of the working groups and the development of:

a) a 3-5 year strategic plan which will set the general direction for the organization (provide a compass.)
b) a 1-year workplan (aka business plan) consisting of day-to-day projects and activities with timelines (provide a map).

Peterson expects to do much of the work but depends absolutely on Board members for input and assistance. Her proposed next steps are to confirm the working groups and people's willingness to work on them, and revisit Richard Lowenberg's excellent list of group goals developed last June with some assistance from the working groups.

The list of groups with members was put onto the white board and some clarification and consolidation ensued. Several board members stressed their need to have informal conversations with the community to make sure that our plans and projects are driven as much by what seems to be needed by the community as by our need to share what we personally believe to be needed. Vicki Suter stressed her belief that we need to orchestrate some 'winning activities' to raise our sights in the community. Recent (and continuing) 'winning activities' such as the Simple Sites and calendars were noted. Brian
Gegan and Anne Hance shared their views on the necessary coordination between outreach (pr and marketing) and funding (finding funds for what we need to do.)

Peterson will be communicating with the Board and will need replies no later than Sep 29.

9. Committee reports
Anne Hance reported that the RAC has written a 'piece' for publication in the Enterprise's Briefly column. The statement informs the public of DCN's offerings of free resources for non profit groups. The submission will be sent by email by Sheila Evans (our admin. assist.) as our official contact person.

10. Announcements
Rick Guidara told us that the Training Room is probably going away (really this time.) He might be able to retain the computer bank but is uncertain about this.
Rob Nickerson told us that UCD has asked for more bandwidth and says he (Nickerson) will buy the necessary hardware that DCN will need in order to accomplish this. He will not charge DCN for these purchases.

11. Meeting adjourned at 6:59:00 pm.

Submitted by Anne Hance, Secretary

NEXT BOARD MEETING: October 17, 2006

Document Actions
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Personal tools