Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home About DCN DCN Board of Directors Board Minutes October 17, 2006

October 17, 2006

DCN Board Minutes October 2006

Davis Community Network (DCN)

A duly called regular meeting of the
Board of the Davis Community Network was held
Tuesday, OCTOBER 17, 2006
at the City of Davis Training Room
600 A Street.

Present 9 members: Tsui Chang, Jim Frame, Brian Gegan, Rick Guidara, Anne Hance, Steve McMahon, Robert Nickerson, Kimball Sargeant, Vicki Suter, also Admin. Assistant Sheila Evans.

Absent: Tony Bernhard, John Jones, Jan Meizel, Tom Stanionis, Richard Yamagata

1. Called to order at 5:20:00 pm by President Kimball Sargeant
2. Agenda approved with reversal of items 5 and 6
3. Minutes of September 19, 2006 Board Meeting approved by consensus with wording correction provided by consultant Kari Peterson for item 8. a) and b)
4. No public comment

5. Proposed Annual Report.
Jim Frame introduced the 2005 - 2006 DCN Annual Report prepared by ex-executive director Richard Lowenberg. It was noted that the report contains reference to things that occurred after the end of the 2005-06 fiscal year. This was deemed not to be of significance since the actual dates of the items mentioned are clearly stated.
Motion to accept the report was moved by Rick Guidara
and seconded by Vicki Suter.
The motion passed unanimously.
Administrative Assistant Sheila Evans told us that the payment check for the preparation of the report has been mailed to Lowenberg.

6. Rumsey Grant Update.
Kari reported that work on this Digital Storytelling grant continues and is aimed at the December 6 submission deadline. She noted that several options might be brought to the board in regard to parts of the grant, which will include both pilot and on-going components. An example of the potential options is in the area of training where the grant application originator Jan Meizel had envisioned the use of a specific software application to guide story development while Kari is suggesting using the services of the Berkeley "Center for Digital Storytelling." Steve recommended the inclusion of DCN's preference for the use of "Creative Commons" copyright licensing. Kari and Jan will cooperate in the development of the grant.

7. Strategic Planning
Kari reminded the board that 6 working groups had been determined at the September meeting and Board members assigned to groups according to their preferences.

Kari distributed a template to guide each group's development of goals and their related activities.

Each group is to discuss and brainstorm in person (or electronically) to achieve a realistic set of goals and activities and send them to Kari by Nov. 9. They will be discussed at the Nov. 21 board meeting and implementation will begin on December 1, 2006

Below: the groups as set out in Kari's Sep 20, 2006 DCN Planning Process email attachment. The first name shown for each group is the person who was given a copy of the template during tonight's meeting and asked to get the group moving on its charge.
1. New blood; volunteers: Vicki, John
2. Outreach, pr, "message:" Tsui, Brian, Tony
3. Funding, fund development: Anne, Jan, Brian (a bridge between 2 & 3)
4. New media (programmatic): Brian, Vicki, Jan, Kari
5. Staffing, facilities, operations: Kimball for executive committee, Rick
6. Training: Steve, Anne, Tsui

Kari will be pleased to attend any group meetings if invited.

8. UCD GSM intern program
Kimball and Kari described their meeting with the GSM grad student co-chairs for the internship program. The board agreed on two areas that would be of value for DCN: Marketing and Community Media Center Development. Kari will create and submit an application for a Winter Quarter Marketing project. A Media Center project application can be made later for another quarter.

9. CTC Vista Intern
Kari explained that there is a November 10 deadline for application for a January - January internship. She will research costs to DCN, which may be around $5,000. The DCN Exec. Comm. has authority to approve (or not) Kari's suggested application when it is ready for the Nov. 10 submission.

10. Committee Reports
RAC: Anne brought up the issue of the 50MB disk allocation limit that the RAC imposes on projects. Might this be increased? Also, if DCN were to decide not to charge for domain name virtual hosting how much would this cost us? The questions were deferred for later discussion.
Web team: Steve reminded the board that this is election season and the Web Team is busily involved in assisting the County Elections Office. He also mentioned the classes scheduled for this month and next month.

11. Announcements: Brian reminded us that the new winery on 2nd Street will have an Open House on Oct 28. He will send a reminder to the Board.

Meeting adjourned at 6:55 pm.

Submitted by Anne Hance, Secretary

Document Actions
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Personal tools