Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home About DCN DCN Board of Directors Board Minutes August 21, 2007

August 21, 2007

DCN Board Minutes August 21, 2007

Davis Community Network (DCN)

A duly called regular meeting of the
Board of the Davis Community Network was held
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
at the City of Davis Training Room
600 A Street.

Present:  Tsui Chang, Jim Frame, Rick Guidara, Anne Hance, Robert Nickerson, Kimball Sargeant, Richard Yamagata, also:  Kari Peterson, Rian Graves

Leave of absence: Brian Gegan,
Absent: John Jones, Steve McMahon, Jan Meizel, Tom Stanionis, Vicki Suter

1.  Called to order at 5:22:00 pm by President Kimball Sargeant
2.  Agenda approved as distributed
3.  No public comment
4.  Minutes of July 17, 2007 Board Meeting approved by consensus with the deletion of wording of last sentence of Announcements.

5.  Preliminary Financial Report: Jim and Kimball:
    DCN has about $1,700 available today. This will increase somewhat in next few months as MOU installment funds are received. DCN has a normal cycle of high (as much as $15,000 temporarily) and low balances. Jim and Kimball have estimated that it is not possible right now to hire a new executive director.
    Richard Yamagata introduced information about a new fundraiser to be offered to nonprofits by the local Oddfellows. Some excitement was engendered!

6. Net block.  Rob Nickerson.
    Rob gave an overview of his understandings on this issue. There was brief discussion.  Rob will seek a second opinion from a different consultant.

7. FY 07-08 DCN Workplan: Kari:
    Kari went over the "Project Work Plan" for Fiscal Year 2007 - 2008 that had been reviewed by the executive Committee.  It was approved by consensus, with the addition of three items relating to volunteers suggested by Kimball, on a motion by Anne Hance.

Two new committees designed to carry out parts of the work plan were formed and tentative committee members named. These were:
Outreach and Promotions (OPC)
    Tsui Chang, Steve McMahon, Sheila Evans, Scott Alumbaugh, Kari Peterson, (and Kimball Sargeant ex offico)

Finance and Fund Development (FFD)
    Jim Frame, Richard Yamagata, Anne Hance, Kari Peterson, (and Kimball Sargeant ex offico)

Kari will call those named, who were absent from the meeting, to extend a formal invitation.

8.  Volunteer Management Project - quick progress report.
    Rian explained what she and Vicki have done so far. She expressed some frustration at not being able to provide access privileges to Vicki and others.  Tsui suggested that the SandBox area in which Rian is working is probably a SimpleSite and may not be the right place for the Volunteer Management Project documents - perhaps Rian and Vicki's work should be in the DCN Plone workspace.  perhaps Rian and Vicki might meet or talk with Steve to find out what best to do.

9.  Committee and working group reports
    Anne reported that the RAC keeps on working but there was no specific report this month.

10. Announcements
    Rian spoke about her SPIN Academy Conference experience. This was a four-day conference in Petaluma basically addressing ways that nonprofits can become better communicators at many levels.  Most attendees represented social justice organizations but Rian reported that she was very pleased with what she learned and came back with a handbook and binder full of very useful information and ideas,

11. Meeting adjourned at 6:59 pm.

Submitted by Anne Hance, Secretary

Document Actions
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Personal tools